Recycling Made Easy by Smithsburg
Your container, which is supplied by the trash company, is for recyclables only and may NOT be used for regular household trash or yard waste. RECYCLABLES will be picked up every Thursday. Recyclables may be placed at the curb no earlier than 4pm on Wednesday, the night before. Please place container with the lid facing the street, four feet from possible obstructions such as mailboxes or cars.
You can put paper, plastic, cardboard, metal and glass recyclables into the same container! Recyclables do not have to be sorted, bundled or compacted but must be emptied. ALL RECYCLABLES ITEMS SHOULD BE RINSED. Excess recyclables can be put in a paper bag, cardboard box or bundled and placed alongside the recycling container.
“Your container MAY NOT be placed outside prior to 4:00 PM on the day before the day which the collector shall make his rounds. Your emptied container MUST BE moved within a reasonable time (reasonable time to be within 24 hours after being emptied).
Your recycling container has an assigned serial number. All residents are responsible for their container. If you move the recycling container must stay. DO NOT take the container with you. You will be billed for the cost of the recycling container if you move and take the recycling container with you.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Where: Greensburg Convenience Center, 13125 Bikle Road, off of Route 64
Time: 8am - 3pm
Date: Day after Christmas through January 30th, excluding holidays.
All live Christmas trees must have all lights, ornaments, nails, etc. removed.
Any questions call 301-824-3266.
- Household trash - Every Tuesday
- Recyclables - Every Thursday. Your new recycling container is for recyclables only - not to be used for household trash or yard waste.
- Yard Waste - 3rd Wednesday of the month (April - Dec). Yard waste must be in biodegradable bags, brown paper bags or loose in a trash can. No plastic bags.
To insure pickup, it is recommended putting your trash/recyclables/yard waste out the night before (no earlier than 4pm).
Acceptable Items Include:
- Newspapers, magazines and catalogs (including all inserts)
- Junk mail and envelopes
- All shredded material must be placed in a clear plastic bag.
- Paperboard boxes, such as cereal and cracker boxes (no liners)
- Corrugated cardboard boxes (broken down)
- Clean paper products, including colored and white papers, such as fax, copy, computer printouts, file folders, note cards, etc.
- Brown paper bags
- Non-metallic wrapping paper
- Milk and juice cartons
- Books (including paperbacks, textbooks and hardbacks)
- Telephone books
- Glass jars and bottles
- Tin and steel cans, such as pet food, tuna, vegetables, etc.
- Empty aerosol cans
- Aluminum food and beverage containers, such as soda cans
- Aluminum foil and pie pans
- Empty plastic containers, including narrow-neck bottles, such as water or soda, and wide-mouth tubs such as peanut butter, margarine, yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, whipped topping, prescription bottles, etc.
- Plastic bags, such as grocery bags (gather and place inside a single bag for collection)
- Greasy Pizza boxes, food waste, bathroom waste, soiled paper products (such as paper plates and tissues)
- Wax paper, metallic wrapping paper, no liners from cereal boxes, cracker boxes, etc.
- Hazardous material containers (such as pesticides, motor oil or antifreeze)
- Microwaveable disposable meal trays, plastic “clamshell” packaging (such as from salad bars) and molded plastic retail packaging
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- No hard plastics, such as furniture, coolers, 5 gallon buckets, cat litter buckets
- Printer cartridges, cell phones, batteries, computer or other electronics
- Any container that is not empty
- No window glass